by The Associated Press Posted Nov 16, 2014 9:14 pm MDT General Motors compensation expert extends deadline for filing of ignition switch claims DETROIT – The lawyer hired by General Motors to compensate victims of crashes caused by faulty ignition switches is giving people another month to file claims.Kenneth Feinberg announced Sunday night that the deadline has been extended until Jan. 31, 2015.GM came under fire last week because the family of a Connecticut woman who died in a crash had not been notified by the company, even though GM linked her death to the faulty switches years ago.Feinberg says in a statement that the extension is being done out of an abundance of caution. He says notices about the compensation fund have been sent to nearly 4 1/2 million current and prior owners of Chevrolet Cobalts and other affected small cars. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email
“He is deeply saddened at the reported high numbers of fatalities and injured, and extends his condolences to the families of the victims and to the people and Government of Lebanon. He wishes a speedy recovery to those injured, said Mr. Ban in a statement issued by his spokesperson in New York.In the statement, Mr. Ban reiterated the support of the United Nations for Lebanon’s institutions, including the Lebanese Armed Forces and security services, in their efforts to safeguard the security of Lebanon and its people.“He trusts they will not allow this despicable act to destroy the relative calm that has prevailed in the country over the past year,” the statement added, also reiterating the need for all parties to continue to work to preserve Lebanon’s stability and security, as called for by the Security Council. “The Secretary-General calls for those responsible for this terrorist act to be swiftly brought to justice,” the statement concluded. Earlier in the day, Ms. Kaag also strongly condemned “the heinous” deadly attack. “Lebanon’s unity, stability and security need to be supported and shielded at all times,” she said in statement on the attack, in which according to media reports at least 37 people were killed and more than 181 wounded by suicide bombers.“The international community stands by Lebanon,” she added, voicing profound condolences to the families of the victims, and wishing a speedy recovery to the injured.She stressed the need for those responsible for terrorist acts to be brought to justice, and expressed her strong support for the Lebanese Armed Forces and the security services.