Golan Heights journalist Ata Farahat held without trial for past three months

first_img RSF_en October 30, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Golan Heights journalist Ata Farahat held without trial for past three months IsraelMiddle East – North Africa Organisation News Follow the news on Israel May 28, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information to go further Receive email alerts RSF asks ICC prosecutor to say whether Israeli airstrikes on media in Gaza constitute war crimescenter_img News WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists June 3, 2021 Find out more Israel now holding 13 Palestinian journalists IsraelMiddle East – North Africa News News May 16, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders is outraged by the prolonged detention of journalist Ata Farahat, who was arrested on 30 July and is being held in Al-Jalama prison (14 km southeast of Haifa). The organisation has been told he could be prosecuted for “collaborating with an enemy nation” but this has never been confirmed by the Israeli authorities.“Three months have gone by since Farahat’s arrest and we fail to understand the Israeli judicial system’s refusal to release him on bail,” Reporters Without Borders said. “By forbidding the Israeli media to cover this case, the judicial authorities have freed themselves of any responsibility. The only possible explanation for this shocking decision is the existence of questionable aspects to the judicial procedures used in this case.”Since his arrest, Farahat has been brought several times before an investigation judge in Tel Aviv who has refused to free him provisionally pending trial. Several unofficial sources have said he is to be prosecuted for “collaborating with an enemy nation” as a result of his relations with the Syrian news media. The gag order imposed on the Israeli media and on his lawyers indicates that the charges against him are serious.A member of Farahat’s family told Reporters Without Borders that his lawyers had also requested a form of provisional release in which he would remain under house arrest, but this was also rejected by the judge in charge of the case on 23 October. The trial has been postponed until 15 November.Aged 35 and a graduate of the Damascus school of journalism, Farahat was working for several Syrian news media, including the daily newspaper Al-Watan and public televison. Reporters Without Borders wrote to the Israeli justice minister on 1 October asking for an explanation for Farahat’s prolonged detention. The organisation has not yet got a reply.last_img read more

Remembering John Kahn, Jerry Garcia’s Main “Un-Dead” Collaborator, On The Anniversary Of His Death [Videos]

first_imgTwenty-three years ago today, Jerry Garcia‘s longtime bassist and collaborator John Kahn died in his sleep after suffering a heart attack at the age of 48. Kahn’s sudden, untimely death came less than a year after Garcia’s own tragic passing.Few people have lived a life as interesting as Kahn’s. Born in Memphis, TN in 1947, John Kahn was adopted at birth by a pair of Los Angeles agents. He grew up in Beverly Hills, CA surrounded by the Hollywood elite, and was babysat as a child by a young Marilyn Monroe as she began to pursue her acting career. As his widow, Linda Kahn, noted in a 2017 Reddit AMA, “It’s not a rumour, she was a babysitter. John’s dad tried to get her a contract with all the studios to no avail so he instead hired her as a babysitter.”John Kahn began to take piano and music theory lessons by the time he was 5 years old. Following the death of his father at a young age, he was mentored by acclaimed violinist Mischa Elman, his father’s cousin. As Linda noted in her AMA, “Mischa helped John. He saw the musical prodigy in John and got him into playing and theory.”Kahn had earned a reputation as a talented jazz guitarist by the time he enrolled at Beverly Hills High School, and made the switch to double bass during his junior year. After a brief stint at USC, he transferred to San Francisco Conservatory of Music, where he was greeted head-on by the burgeoning Haight-Ashbury counterculture scene.It was there that Kahn linked up with Garcia for the first time while working with various influential blues and folk artists as an in-demand session musician. He wound up joining a new jazz-rock ensemble surrounding Garcia and organist Howard Wales and helped them record 1971’s Hooteroll? Kahn once again joined Garcia—this time on acoustic bass—when he hit the road with bluegrass supergroup Old and in the Way. Below, listen to Jerry and John play as an acoustic duo at Oregon State Prison on May 5th, 1982 via YouTube user LongStrangeTrip710:Jerry Garcia & John Kahn – “Rueben and Cherise”Kahn played on all of Garcia’s various collaborations with organist Merl Saunders, from Saunders/Garcia Band to Legion of Mary and beyond. He started Reconstruction with Saunders and company to occupy himself while Jerry was busy with the Dead, and Jerry naturally joined up as their lead guitarist once again while the Dead were on their late-’70s hiatus. John Kahn was the low-end backbone around which the Jerry Garcia Band eventually evolved. Watch Jerry Garcia, John Khan and company perform Bob Dylan‘s “Tangled Up In Blue” in 1977 below:Jerry Garcia Band – Tangled Up In Blue[Video: Grateful Dead on MV]Kahn also played in additional limited side projects with his longtime friend and collaborator. Watch him play bass with Garcia and Bob Weir at a rare San Francisco trio performance on December 17th, 1987 below:Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, & John Kahn – Full Show Video – 12/17/87He continued to collaborate with Garcia up until his death in 1995 and was the only player besides Jerry himself who remained a staple of the ever-fluctuating Garcia solo lineup. With his untimely death following Jerry’s on this day in 1996, Kahn became yet another piece of the Garcia legacy that was gone way too soon.Rest in peace, John Kahn.[Originally published 5/30/18]last_img read more

Syracuse defeats Connecticut, 5-2, without Gabriela Knutson

first_img Published on February 9, 2018 at 10:33 pm Contact KJ: [email protected] | @KJEdelman Facebook Twitter Google+ Coming off its first loss of the season against Virginia, Syracuse (4-1, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) was without No. 17 Gabriela Knutson against Connecticut (3-2). Coach Younes Limam said that her absence was a decision made by the team and that she is “good to go whenever we need her.”While Knutson’s usual doubles partner, Miranda Ramirez, cruised to a victory alongside Nicole Mitchell, 6-3, SU dropped its first doubles point of the season behind unsteady performances from the other two pairs. The Orange started in a hole.But behind strong singles performances, Syracuse shook off its shaky start and pulled off its fourth win of the season at Drumlins Country Club, 5-2. SU’s win marks its tenth straight victory against UConn, the first since 2013. Sofya Golubovskaya and Anna Shkudun teamed up to play first doubles for the first time this season. Shkudun had flashes of a strong swing from her first service win, but Golubovskaya struggled to stay aggressive close to the net. Down 1-4, Golubovskaya braced her body towards two straight volley shots and came up short on both. Ultimately, they lost 3-6. “I don’t like playing doubles,” Golubovskaya said, “The net play is hard, and I’m not too good at it yet.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAfter Ramirez and Mitchell tied up the doubles score for SU, Libi Mesh and Dina Hegab allowed UConn to come back down 5-1 to force a tiebreaker. After a tight start to the tiebreaker, UConn rattled off four points in five serves. Down 6-4 in the tiebreaker, Mesh elected to lean back on the run and swing at a ball nearing the end line, resulting in a low shot into the net. UConn was in control up one team point to none. During the few minutes before their singles matches, Mesh and Golubovskaya spoke to a couple of teammates, but mostly remained to themselves. Without Knutson playing, the lineup was altered for singles. Ramirez moved to first singles, Golubovskaya played second singles for the first time in her career and Nicole Mitchell filled the final spot at sixth. “We have a lot of options,” Limam said, “It’s a long season, so it’s nice to see everyone step up.”Following a lackluster start in doubles, Golubovskaya perked up and took a commanding 4-1 lead over UConn’s Jacquelyn Fitz-Randolph with two backhand shots aimed towards the top left corner of the court. After controlling the first set, Golubovskaya led the rest of the match with corner shots and quick volleys. Nearing match point, Golubovskaya made Fitz-Randolph do a half-split to get to a ball that was nowhere near her en route to a 6-2, 6-1 victory. After Ramirez made light work of Yelyzaveta Pletnyeva, 6-0, 6-2, Mesh and Hegab redeemed themselves with swift two-set victories against Jacqueline Lazaro and Zaina Zaki, respectively. As Hegab whacked a shot to the top right edge of the court, she fist pumped leading up to match point. After Zaki’s final shot floated over her head, Hegab clinched the match for SU. She remains undefeated in singles play this season. Mitchell fell short in a second-set tiebreaker during her second singles match of the season resulting in Syracuse’s only singles loss of the day, and Shkudun handled UConn’s Summer Walker, 6-3, 6-4, to round out the 5-2 victory for Syracuse. Limam credited the depth of his team for overcoming the absence of Knutson. After SU dropped its first doubles point of the season, Limam made sure his team did not panic and felt good after the first set of singles, he said. “It’s always good to deal with these kind of scenarios early in the season,” Limam said, “We just have to compete through them, and they did that today.” Commentslast_img read more