The Berlin Marathon is one of the fastest in the world. The current men’s world record was set in Berlin by Eliud Kipchoge in 2018.It will be the first year with no Berlin Marathon since the race was founded in 1974.The announcement came on the same day that the New York City Marathon was canceled. That race had been scheduled for Nov. 1.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports June 24, 2020 Associated Press ___Detroit Tigers general manager Al Avila says one player and one staff member have tested positive for COVID-19.Avila said on a video conference that the player was living in Florida, but was not working out at the team’s spring training facilities in Lakeland. He did not identify the two people who tested positive.“They’re going through the process, obviously, of recovering as we speak,” Avila said. “It was just recently, a few days ago, so they’re still in the recovery stages, and at some point they’ll be tested again.”With baseball returning for a shortened season, the Tigers are set to have training camp in Detroit. Nearby Laurel Park remains closed to the general public.___This year’s Berlin Marathon has been canceled following months of uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic.Organizers say “after extensive examination and various discussions” they were not able to find a later date. Authorities in Germany have blocked the hosting of major events through October.The marathon was scheduled for Sept. 27. UConn President Thomas Katsouleas told the school’s Board of Trustees Wednesday that the school will reduce the number of sports it supports from 24 to 20, eliminating its men’s cross-country, men’s swimming and diving, men’s tennis and women’s rowing teams.He said eliminating those programs, along with mandating a 15% cut in the operating budget of all sports and cutting some scholarships, should result in a requested savings of $10 million annually, or 25% of the school’s subsidy to the Division of Athletics over the next three years. That subsidy was $42 million in 2019.The school will continue to support the eliminated sports through the 2020-21 academic year, allowing the 124 affected athletes time to transfer or make other decisions, officials said.“While this is a painful decision, it is in the best interests of the long-term viability of UConn and of UConn athletics,” Katsouleas said. The decision came as the Board of Trustees approved a $1.5 billion spending plan for its main campus in Storrs and regional campuses. ___Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore will open Thursday for wagering on simulcast horse races.Fans will be required to wear masks, maintain social distancing and follow safety protocols to avoid the spread of COVID-19.The race track will open the first and second floors of the clubhouse. All fans must wear masks or a face covering upon entering the facility.Pimlico is scheduled to host the Preakness on Oct. 3. The Latest: UConn eliminates 4 sports in virus- related cuts Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The University of Connecticut is eliminating four athletic teams as it deals with an expected budget deficit driven by issues related to the coronavirus pandemic.
Duro IkhazuagbeFormer Super Eagles Captain and Coach, Sunday Oliseh has been suspended from his The Netherlands’ second tier club side, Fortuna Sittard, for what the teamâ€™s management called “unacceptable actions”.However, in a tweet Wednesday afternoon to counter Sittardâ€™s position, Oliseh insisted he was suspended because he refused to â€˜participate in Illegal activitiesâ€™. This was Olisehâ€™s reaction on his official twitter account: â€œI confirm: Due to my refusal to participate in Illegal activities at Fortuna Sittard & violate the law, I have been suspended from my duties as Coach by the foreign owners of Fortuna. Unfortunate for the lovely fans, my players & our hard fought phenomenal positioning for Promotion.â€Earlier, Sittard had said in the statement issued said that Oliseh had been put on “non-active” duties, stopping short of saying he has been sacked.“Several attempts by the club to encourage a change in the coach’s behaviour have unfortunately not worked, resulting in an unworkable situation,” Sittardâ€™s statement said.“The board of Fortuna Sittard emphasizes that the decision to suspend Sunday Oliseh is not motivated by the current sporting performance.“The coach’s unacceptable actions have made cooperation between many people within the organization impossible – from players to employees.“Fortuna Sittard regrets the decision, but states that the club interest goes above all else,” concludes the statement from the Dutch second tier clubOliseh, 42, was appointed as Sittard coach in late December 2016.Sittard finished 17th in the 20-team league at the end of last season but is currently third on the table and five points behind leader NEC.With eight wins and just one loss earlier this season the club actually won what is called the “second period” of the league, which is made up of four periods.The club plays in the Eerste Divisie, which is the professional league below the Eredivisie, Holland’s topflight, and it consists of 20 clubs.The Eerste Divisie champions gain automatic promotion to the Eredivisie, while eight clubs made up of the period champions and the other best-ranked teams, will compete in play-offs for two further promotion places.Oliseh was appointed as head coach of the Dutch club on an initial 18-month contract with an option to extend it for another season.Sittardâ€™s Turkish owner, Isitan GÃ¼n, was excited at the coming of Oliseh given his background as former top player and coach with hand on experience as member of FIFA Technical Study Group.He endured a turbulent reign as Super Eagles boss after succeeding Stephen Keshi in July 2015.In early February 2016, a frustrated Oliseh posted an eight-minute video rant on his own website to hit back at what he called the “insanity” of his critics in Nigeria.He had come under pressure after Nigeria failed to get past the group stages of the 2016 African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Rwanda.The coach later apologised to the NFF for his outburst aimed at the Nigerian media as well as some of his former international teammates but the damage done could not be ameliorated.He officially stood down as Eagles coach in February 2016, Oliseh previously played for Dutch giants Ajax from 1997 to 1999.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram