UK imports US urban tax plan

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

FPDSavills opens offices in Spain and Italy

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Cape crusader

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

MWB left reeling as NAV halves

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Teacher named suspect in death of 10 students killed in flash flood

first_imgThe charges carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison.The incident occurred on Friday when 249 seventh and eighth graders from Turi 1 junior high school went trekking along the banks of the Sembor River as part of a girl and boy scout activity. The students started trekking from Dukuh hamlet in Donokerto village, Turi district, Sleman, and walked upstream for about 1 kilometer. During the trek, the river suddenly flooded and strong currents swept away many of the students.Ten female students were killed, with the joint search and rescue (SAR) team recovering the last two bodies in the early hours of Sunday. A scoutmaster in Yogyakarta has been charged with negligence resulting in death after 10 junior high school students were killed in a flash flood that struck during a riverbank trek.“Investigators named a scoutmaster, IYA, a suspect in the case,” Yogyakarta police spokesman Sr. Comr. Yulianto told reporters on Saturday, adding that the suspect was a physical education teacher at Turi 1 junior high school in Sleman.“The suspect was charged under Article 359 of the Criminal Code, which pertains to negligence leading to death, as well as Article 360 on negligence resulting in injuries.” Read also: Final death toll in Yogyakarta flash flood stands at 10Yulianto said the scouts had been supervised by seven scoutmasters, one of whom remained at the school while the other six accompanied the students during their trek. One of the scoutmasters left the trek midway because of personal reasons and one more was waiting at the finish point.“So, four scoutmasters were with the students that day,” Yulianto added.The Yogyakarta Police have questioned the other three scoutmasters about the Sleman scout chapter’s standard operating procedure for such high-risk scout activities. Several residents of Dukuh hamlet have also been questioned.Yulianto said more suspects could be named in the case once investigators finished questioning the participating scouts.“They are still in shock, so we haven’t questioned them.”The police previously said that inadequate safety equipment and lack of planning were among the reasons the trek had ended in disaster.“From the information we got, [the scouts] only had sticks with them; they didn’t bring any rope and went on the trip with only six scoutmasters,” Yogyakarta Police chief Insp. Gen. Asep Suhendar told reporters on Saturday.Turi 1 junior high school principal Tutik Nurdiana said she had not been aware of a trekking activity on Friday afternoon.“Honestly, I didn’t know that [the students] would go on a river trek. The [scoutmasters] didn’t tell me,” Tutik said, adding, however, that the school did hold scout activities every Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.Esti Wijayanti, a member of the House of Representatives Commission X overseeing education and youth affairs who visited the site of the incident, said she would evaluate the school’s scout curriculum, particularly its safety procedures.“The participants were not even asked whether they could swim,” she said. Read also: ‘Reckless’: Parents criticize school for allowing river trek before Yogyakarta flash floodAccording to Tita Vhasya Pradita, a 13-year-old girl scout who survived the flash flood, as the students were making their way toward the river, they were urged by several hamlet residents to stop their trek because of flooding in the north.”I heard the scoutmaster say that it was OK because our lives were in God’s hands,” Tita said.The Social Affairs Ministry’s director for natural disaster protection, Rachmat Koesnadi, visited Tita at the community health center (Puskesmas) where she was being treated. After meeting her, he told reporters that the ministry would provide Rp 15 million (US$1,088) in compensation for the family of the students who had died in the incident. (aql/hol)Topics :last_img read more

US reports third case of novel coronavirus of unknown origin

first_imgUS health officials on Friday reported a third case of the new coronavirus transmitted to a person who did not travel overseas or come in contact with anyone known to be ill, indicating the disease was spreading in the country.Authorities said the new case concerned a person living in the western state of Oregon. The adult patient, who has been hospitalized, was known to have had contact with people at an elementary school.Oregon Health Authority director Patrick Allen told reporters that the case is considered “presumptive” pending confirmation of the test results from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Topics : “We’ve been expecting this and we’re prepared for it,” he said.Officials said the elementary school will be shut down until March 4 as it undergoes a deep clean and as health officials talk to employees and parents.Two other “community spread” cases have been reported in neighboring California this week.Both cases involve older people in the northern part of the state who mysteriously contracted the virus.center_img The increasing number of people stricken with the illness in the United States is sure to heighten fears of an outbreak across the country.According to the Centers for Disease Control, as of Thursday there were more than 60 people infected with the disease in the United States.California’s Governor Gavin Newsom on Thursday said 33 people there had tested positive for the virus, and five of them had left the state.Worldwide more than 84,000 people have been infected with the disease and 2,870 have died.last_img read more

IDX moves to calm stock market as Indonesia reports first coronavirus cases

first_imgThe Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX) has moved to calm the markets as the country reported its first two coronavirus cases on Monday.President director Inarno Djajadi said in an emergency press briefing at noon on Monday that the bourse’s executives had met with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo that morning to discuss the latest market situation following the global COVID-19 outbreak.“We are also maintaining close coordination with the Financial Services Authority [OJK] in handling the situation,” he told the press in Jakarta. Jokowi announced on Monday morning the first two COVID-19 positive cases in Indonesia, prompting the Jakarta Composite Index (JCI) to immediately slump to as low as 5,394, touching its lowest level of 5,354 during the intraday session. It slowly rebounded and closed the trading session 1.68 percent lower than its previous close at 5,361, the lowest level since February 2017.Read also: BREAKING: Jokowi announces Indonesia’s first two confirmed COVID-19 casesThe JCI, the main gauge of the IDX, has lost 7.3 percent of its value in the last week and almost dropped 15 percent so far this year, bourse data shows.The bourse decided to temporarily halt short selling on Monday until further notice to help anchor the index. It will stop publishing the list of stocks available for short selling and advise brokerage firms to refuse short sell requests from their clients. Short selling is an investment or trading strategy that speculates on the decline in a particular stock or other securities price. Investors and portfolio managers often use such a strategy as a hedge against the downside risk of a long position in the same security or a related one.“We hope that we can help make the market more stable by imposing this policy,” said Inarno.The IDX, he went on to say, had prepared other measures, such as force-selling limits and symmetrical auto rejects, to respond to deeper falls in the stock market. However, it was of the view that there was no need at the time to implement such measures.Read also: Disappearing act: Market braces for volatile March after $2.4b vanishes in a week“The bourse has yet to receive applications to postpone IPOs [initial public offerings] and bond issues following drops in the JCI,” Inarno said, adding that 24 IPOs and 13 bonds issues were in the pipeline.Chairman of the Indonesia Equity Analyst Association (AAEI) Edwin Sebayang, however, doubted that such a move as halting short selling could prevent the index from falling deeper.“Many market players are not that interested in conducting these transactions since the bourse changed the requirements recently as they deem it to be too complex,” he said.Foreign investors sold Rp 291.24 billion (US$20.48million) worth of Indonesian stocks more than they bought during Monday’s session. Stocks of state-owned Bank Rakyat Indonesia (BRI) recorded the largest net foreign sell of Rp 288.3 billion, followed by private lender Bank Central Asia (BCA) with a net foreign sell of Rp 97.7 billion.Read also: ‘Triple market intervention’: BI buys bonds, rupiah to prop up prices amid viral routAs scientists around the world have yet to find a vaccine for the novel coronavirus, Binaartha Parama Sekuritas Nafan Aji projected the JCI could go as low as 5,093 at some point this year. He also revised his JCI target to only 5,939 throughout 2020 as the virus seemed to continue spreading all across the globe.Edwin of AAEI expressed similar concerns, saying any positive sentiment was unlikely to be able to boost the stock market’s performance this year.“This will all depend on the government’s efforts to handle the outbreak in the future,” he said. center_img Topics :last_img read more

We’ve found no violation: KPPU on skyrocketing face mask prices

first_imgRead also: Kimia Farma puts in place mask and hand sanitizer rationing to ensure availabilityIn addition to Jakarta, the monitoring was also conducted in KPPU regional offices in Bandung, West Java; Balikpapan East Kalimantan; Lampung in South Sumatra, Makassar, South Sulawesi; Medan in North Sumatra and Surabaya, East Java.He said Law No.5/1999 only applied to corporations, excluding small and medium retailers, including individuals selling masks via e-commerce.N95 masks were being sold for Rp 1.3 million (US$94.61) for a box containing 20 masks. In early January, such a box was sold only for around Rp 200,000. Meanwhile, according to sellers at Pramuka drugstores in East Jakarta, the sale of protective face masks had more than tripled. The Business Competition Supervisory Commission (KPPU) has found no violations in relation to the scarcity of face masks, which has caused their prices to skyrocket amid growing fears over the new coronavirus in the country.KPPU commissioner Guntur Saragih said during a press conference on Tuesday that the sharp increase in prices of face masks was purely caused by the supply shortage due to high demand rather than due to hoarding or other unfair business practices.”Based on our monitoring, we’ve found no violations of Law No.5/1999 or other offenses,” he said in a reference to the law on monopoly and business competition. “Price increases are not unusual and we have yet to find any violation of the law,” Guntur said, while adding that corporations found in violation of the regulation could be fined a maximum  Rp 25 billion.He said that the sharp increase in prices of face masks had occurred because producers were unable to meet the high demand.“We asked the public to not panic and not stock up on masks because doing so could worsen the situation,” he told reporters.Peope buy masks and antiseptic gel at a Kimia Farma outlet in Menteng, Central Jakarta, on Wendesday, March 4, 2020.(JP/Riza Roidila Mufti)Market monitoring was conducted beginning in February and concluded before Indonesia announced its first coronavirus cases on Monday. Hence, Guntur said that the KPPU was still open to receiving reports from anyone who found foul play in the market.Meanwhile, KPPU economic director Zulfirmansyah said that the price surge was normal since prices usually went up in times of scarcity.“Big retailers such as minimarkets are still selling masks at a normal price, which is around Rp 9,500 apiece,” he said. “And even though they sell quickly, they always restock every two days.”The Health Ministry previously said a shortage of face masks in Indonesia had been triggered by hoaxes that caused people to panic, causing uncontrolled buying and hoarding. Read also: Surabaya Mayor Risma admits to hoarding masks ‘since January’ in anticipation of COVID-19 outbreakPanic buying also hit supermarkets and drugstores across Jakarta on Monday as people stocked up on cooking oil, instant noodles and antiseptic. Jakartans also descended on drugstores to buy hand sanitizer, multivitamins and wet wipes.Meanwhile, the Jakarta Police raided a mask manufacturer on Feb. 27. During the raid, the police seized 60 boxes containing 3,000 masks in a warehouse in Cilincing, North JakartaThe police later found that the warehouse was not only being used to stockpile masks but also functioned as a mask production facility. Investigators discovered that the company, could produce 850 boxes of masks every day.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Saudi imposes 24-hour virus curfew in five cities

first_imgSaudi Arabia extended the duration of daily curfews Monday in four governorates and five cities, including the capital, to 24 hours to combat coronavirus as confirmed deaths from the disease hit 38.The kingdom imposed round-the-clock lockdowns on the cities of Riyadh, Tabuk, Dammam, Dhahran and Hofuf, the interior ministry said on Twitter.The same measures were also imposed on the governorates of Jeddah, Taif, Qatif and Khobar, the ministry added. Authorities had already sealed off the holy cities of Mecca and Medina along with Riyadh and Jeddah, barring people from entering and exiting as well as prohibiting movement between all provinces.Saudi Arabia, which has reported the highest number of infections in the Gulf, is scrambling to limit the spread of the disease at home. On Monday the health ministry said deaths from the respiratory illness had risen to 38, while confirmed current infections rose to 2,523 and 551 people had recovered from the illness. Last month, Saudi Arabia suspended the year-round umrah pilgrimage over fears of the coronavirus pandemic spreading to Islam’s holiest cities. Authorities are yet to announce whether they will proceed with this year’s hajj, scheduled for the end of July. Authorities last week urged Muslims to temporarily defer preparations for the annual pilgrimage.Last year, some 2.5 million faithful travelled to Saudi Arabia from across the world to take part in the hajj, which all Muslims must perform at least once in their lives if able.The Arab world’s biggest economy has also closed down cinemas, malls and restaurants and halted flights as it steps up efforts to contain the virus.King Salman has warned of a “more difficult” fight ahead against the virus, as the kingdom faces the economic double blow of virus-led shutdowns and crashing oil prices.Topics :last_img read more

India doctors fight to save sight of raped seven-year-old

first_imgTopics : Doctors in India battled Friday to save the sight of a seven-year-old girl who was raped and then had her eyes damaged so she could not identify her attacker, police said.Police have arrested a 21-year-old man over the assault in the central state of Madhya Pradesh.The child was lured into an abandoned house while playing with friends on Wednesday night, senior police official Hemant Chauhan told AFP. She was found there with her hands tied and severe injuries to her eyes.The suspect, who lived nearby and was arrested Thursday, has admitted to the crime, Chauhan said.”The accused pressed his fingers very hard into the girl’s eyes. Doctors are trying their best to save the eyes. We are hopeful,” Chauhan said. Swati Maliwal, head of the Delhi Commission for Women, called the attack “vile and disgusting”.center_img “I demand strongest punishment against these monsters,” Maliwal said on Twitter.The attack came after four men were hanged last month for a notorious 2012 Delhi gang rape.That case unleashed public anger over rampant sexual violence against women in India, and the introduction of tough new laws to punish rapists.Nearly 34,000 rapes were reported in India in 2018, according to official data. Madhya Pradesh had the highest number of any state with 6,500.But the figures are considered the tip of the iceberg, with many more victims too scared to come forward.last_img read more